It can be overwhelming to try to create an estate plan from scratch. You might have some general goals or you might not know at all what you want to achieve and include. However, you don’t have to do this process alone. Working with a Pasadena estate planning lawyer can cut through some of the difficult aspects of this big process and provide actionable steps for you to take.
It’s certainly true that it’s harder to create an estate plan when you don’t know what you want out of your plan or for your loved ones. An estate planning lawyer needs to know your general goals and intentions to be able to suggest the right documents and strategies to help you get there.
Asking some questions of yourself, however, can reduce the stress around this process. Start with these simple questions and take notes:
- What assets do I own?
- Have I already promised or do I want to give specific property to someone else?
- Who would take care of my children if something happened to me and/or my spouse?
- What is my primary purpose for estate planning: making things easy and organized for my family? Making sure my wishes are followed?
- Do I have specific wishes around medical care I do or do not want to receive?
- Who do I trust to be in a position of authority in my affairs, either during my life or as a personal representative/trustee after I pass away?
Once you have a general idea of the answers to these questions, you’ll be in a better frame of mind to sit down and accomplish estate planning. Once your lawyer knows your motivations and what is most important to you, it’s easier for them to suggest which tools and language help you get there.
When you’re ready, working with a Pasadena estate planning lawyer to get more personal assistance with the planning process.